What are the best Kodi streaming add-ons as of September 2018? This post will introduce you to all the most popular unofficial Kodi streaming add-ons, and it will let you know which ones are still working vs which one are broken or abandoned.
With all the recent turmoil in the Kodi community with legal issues, developers quitting, and YouTubers stirring the pot, it’s really hard for the average person to know which add-ons are actually working and which ones are good. Honestly, it’s hard to know what to believe.
The goal of this post is to offer a quick review of each add-on that I’m aware about (and have a sense for its popularity), and to classify these add-ons based on ones that are working, ones that have been abandoned, and ones that are broken. I also hope to treat this as an active living document by updating it often when I find out about add-ons going up or down. I will also be adding any new add-ons that gain popularity.
I hope this is helpful for you!
Vote For Your Favorite Kodi Add-ons
I’m only one person. As much as I try to stay on top of everything Kodi to keep you all up to date, sometimes I rely on you guys to let me know of any up and coming add-ons that work well for you.
You can help by casting your votes below to let everyone know which add-ons are working the best for you. Is there an add-on you think I should include in this list? Choose “other” and let me know what it is.
If you’re viewing the AMP version of this page on a mobile device, you can’t see results and voting doesn’t work. Click here to visit the regular version.
Working TV & Movie Streaming Add-ons for Kodi
- Incursion – kodibae on GitHub or addons4kodi repo – This is my current favorite Kodi add-on. It is a fork of Covenant, but has more options, and has been getting regular maintenance updates. It also has a pretty clean-looking theme and seems to work well and fast. If you install just one add-on, make it this one.
- Neptune Rising – Blamo Repo – This is one of my favorite because it’s a fork of Covenant. Unfortunately, Covenant isn’t maintained anymore, but Neptune Rising is. This is one of the more popular ones, but in my experience, I’ve had some cases where Neptune Rising wouldn’t work, but Incursion would.
- Gaia – Gaia Repo – This is a noteworthy, “up & coming” streaming add-on that you should definitely try out. Being a fork of the Bubbles add-on, the emphasis of Gaia is having an insane amount of bells & whistles. This “next generation” Kodi add-on makes Exodus, Covenant and all of their forks look, frankly, primitive. Unfortunately, it does have some big issues with speed at the moment, so I still prefer Incursion or Neptune Rising.
- Placenta – Blamo Repo – This is another new add-on that is a fork of Covenant, but has some more options.
- Genesis Reborn – This is a fork from the original Genesis add-on, one of the biggest and most popular add-ons from the earlier days of Kodi. Most of the add-ons you use today are a fork of a fork of Genesis. It kind of started it all. If you want the same interface and experience as Genesis, but want it updated and still working, give this a try.
- Gurzil – Smash Repo – Gurzil is an add-on that is new to me. It’s in the Smash repo and it seems to be an identical clone of Covenant and Exodus. The only thing I can tell that is different is the name, the red color scheme, and icon theme. But, seems to work great, so it’s nice to have another alternative to Covenant in case there are any issues.
- Elysium Lite – NoobsAndNerds Repo – Elysium Lite is a faster version of Elysium.
- Elysium – NoobsAndNerds Repo – This is a pretty popular streaming add-on. It is the rebranded version of the old Zen add-on. I reviewed it along with an installation tutorial. My brief thoughts are that it is missing Trakt.tv integration. Besides that, it’s pretty solid.
- The Pyramid – This add-on has a lot of content. It has many sections including documentary zone, Kids, Movies, Music, Radio, Sport, TV, and more. It seems to be getting regular updates.
- DeathStreams – Forked from the long-popular SALTS add-on, DeathStreams is definitely a nice add-on worth checking out.
- BoB Unleashed – NoobsAndNerds Repo – BoB is another fairly up and coming add-on. I think it came out, or at least gained some popularity around the same time as Bubbles. BoB is also another intricate and robust add-on that is very unique. It has lots of folders for different kinds of entertainment, and the interface has a unique personality.
- MaverickTV – Maverick Repo – Maverick TV is a good all-around playlist add-on that streams movies, TV shows, sports, live TV, 24/7 channels, and more. It has a lot of categories of content. It’s a one-click to play add-on which tries to finds the best stream to play.
- At the Flix by Maverick – Maverick Repo – Maverick’s newer add-on which claims to have “the latest movies and shows”.
- Specto Fork – Smash Repo – Specto is a fork of Genesis that gained popularity way back when Genesis was on its way out (before the Genesis developer released his next add-on, Exodus). It’s been a while since that, and now 2 generations later with Covenant, Specto still has a decent following.
Working Sports Streaming Add-ons for Kodi
- Sports Guru – Caffeinated Repo – The Sports Guru Kodi add-on has sports scores, live updates, a live ticker, and has full game replays too! You can also set up alerts for breaking sports news and game scores. You can get notifications for Ice Hockey, Basketball, Baseball, and Soccer.
- PureSoccer – PureRepo – The PureSoccer add-on (Formerly SportsMatrix, formerly PureSports) is a sports streaming add-on for Kodi. It seems like a great alternative to SportsDevil and Sports Hub.
- Sports Hub – TrantrumTV Repo – The new name of the old “Pro Sports” add-on. It focuses on USA Sports like NFL, NBA, MLB, and NHL. It has live streaming and archives to watch them later.
- Planet MMA – Ares Repo – I posted about Planet MMA in preparation for a big ppv fight event. It’s an add-on that’s totally dedicated to MMA / boxing. It seems to work pretty well and is still actively getting updates.
Abandoned but Still Working (for now)
- Covenant – Colossus Repo – This was my favorite add-on after Exodus went down. Unfortunately, the Colossus repo was deleted from Github and the developers seems to have abandoned it.
- Exodus – Smash Repo – The successor to Genesis which was later replaced by Covenant around the time of TVAddons going down. It still technically works, but in my Covenant tutorial, I explain how Covenant works so much better than Exodus. I think it’s only a matter of time until Exodus sputters to its death. Covenant was the replacement for it and is an exact replica,
but is still being developed and supported.
- SALTS (Stream All The Sources) – Smash Repo – After Genesis went down a long time ago, SALTS was my favorite replacement. Later when Exodus came out with some newer features, I was swayed back that direction. But, SALTS still appears to be working. However, according to the add-on description, the last version was made from the TVAddons guys and Smash has only fixed some images in the add-on.
- cCloud – SuperRepo – cCloud was a great add-on that used to be hosted in the Fusion repo (before its demise). I heard it went down which I was sad about, but then I opened it found that it’s still working great! I also found that it’s still hosted in SuperRepo. It’s in the abandoned category because I believe it’s not being developed/supported anymore. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.
- Bubbles – Bubbles Repo – Bubbles is probably one of the most intricate unofficial add-ons for Kodi. You can really tell that the developer knows his stuff. I’ve now moved it to the abandoned category since it’s been replaced with the new Gaia add-on.
Broken Kodi Add-ons
- Aragon Live – Blamo Repo – If you want live TV streaming on Kodi, this add-on was awesome. In my initial testing and reviewing, every single live channel I tried worked flawlessly, and it has a LOT of channels! Unfortunatetly, I started hearing about it not working. I tried it for myself and confirmed it wasn’t working anymore. All of the menu items were just giving a “Mobdro error”. Sad day.
- Genesis –
Fusion Repo– Rest in peace, Genesis, the most popular of the early founding fathers of unofficial Kodi streaming add-ons. Genesis was replaced by Exodus which was replaced by Covenant, which was replaced by a ton of different add-ons.
- Icefilms – Smash Repo – Icefilms is one of the oldest unofficial Kodi streaming add-ons from way back in the day. It went down with Fusion, but shows up in the Smash Repo with a note “FIX IS NOT WORKING”.
- 1Channel – Smash Repo – 1Channel (aka Primewire) is one of the oldest unofficial streaming add-ons for Kodi. It looks like it’s done a decent job at keeping up to date with things like URLResolver setting, Real-Debrid, Library integration, etc. The one thing it looks like it’s missing is Trakt integration. The add-on in the Smash repo is labeled as 1Channel FIX so it seems that it was broken before and was recently revived with this fixed version. Since the Smash repo went down, I haven’t seen this one around, so I’ve moved it to the broken section.
- SportsDevil – Colossus Repo – This is also one of the oldest unofficial Kodi add-ons right there along with the old Icefilms. However, SportsDevil is still actively getting updates, so it doesn’t seem to be abandoned. However, when I was testing it out, clicking around on random links for over 10 minutes straight, I couldn’t get a single stream to load during that whole time. If someone has a suggested fix or has any tips for where to go within the add-on to get good streams, please let me know in the comments. But for now, I’m categorizing this as broken.
- ManiaHD – The Mania Services Repo – This is a premium paid service and Kodi add-on. They used to work great, but recently they closed off subscriptions and renewals preventing more people from using their service.
- SportsAccess – Smash Repo – This was a premium service add-on for sports streaming. You have to have a paid subscription to use the add-on. Unfortunately, their website’s signup page has a server error on it.
- Sportie – This add-on was yet another option for sports streaming. It was developed by Echo Coder who I’ve heard recently quit developing Kodi add-ons. If you happen to have the add-on still installed from before, it only says “Thank Soloman, Goodbye All!” I’m not sure what the YouTuber, Soloman did, but it sounds like he may have driven Echo Coder to quit. Come on, Soloman… respect the devs.
- PubFilm – SuperRepo – This add-on is completely broken. None of the menus work.
- FilmOn – NoobsAndNerds Repo – I haven’t heard anything about this add-on in a while, but I know it was one that’s been around for a while. Unfortunately, I couldn’t get any links to work, so it seems to be broken.
- f4mTester – Colossus, Ares, NoobsAndNerds, Smash Repo – I’ve heard this is a popular IPTV add-on. I also noticed that it seems to be included in every repository that I have. I tried it out and none of the links I tried would work. I tried several of them.
- SolarMovie – NoobsAndNerds Repo – This is an add-on that I’ve heard of and has been around for a long time, but it’s completely broken. All of the folders are empty.
I’m Relying on You, the Kodi Community
Kodi add-ons have been popping up, going down, and coming back all the time lately. For instance, during the week after I wrote a tutorial on how to install Elysium, that add-on completely stopped working for everyone one day, and then came back up working normally a couple of days later.
Like I said earlier, I’m only one man, and I’m not using all of these add-ons on a regular basis, so I’m relying on you to let me know if any of these add-ons stop working. Also, feel free to do any fact-checking and let me know if anything I said about the add-ons is incorrect or outdated.
Leave your comments below. Thanks!