Frustrated with your Fire Stick going to sleep and closing your apps all the time? There’s a fix, and I’ll show you how to do it.
If you use Kodi on the Fire TV device, then you have probably been frustrated by the fact that every time you wake the device, Kodi has been forcefully closed and it’s back on the Fire TV home screen.
Not only is that frustrating because you have to wait for Kodi to boot up each time, but it can wreak havoc on your Kodi add-ons since many add-ons lose all their settings if you don’t exit Kodi properly. The new Seren Kodi add-on suffers from this problem.
To solve this issue, you can install an app that will keep the screen alive to prevent the Fire Stick from sleeping.
Since there are not any good apps in the Amazon App Store to accomplish this, you’ll need to download one from the Google Play Store in APK format and side-load it onto your Fire Stick or other Fire OS device.
Download the Stay Alive App from APK Downloader
- Go to this link and click on the green button that says “Click here to download com.synetics.stay.alive”.
Prepare Your Fire TV Stick to Side-load
- On your Fire TV device, navigate to Settings > System > Developer Options and turn ON both options (Apps from Unknown Sources and ADB Debugging). Don’t forget to turn ADB Debugging OFF when you’re done, or you might get hacked.
- Find and take note of your Fire Stick’s IP address by going to Settings > System > About > Network.
Side-load the Stay Alive App using adbLink on your Computer
- Using you computer or laptop, go to this link, scroll down, and find the download link for your operating system (Windows, Mac, or Linux). Download it and install it.
- Open adbLink on your computer.
- Click the New button
- In Description, give your Fire TV Stick a name.
- In Address, type the IP address of your Fire TV Stick that you took note of earlier.
- Click the Save button.
- Click the Connect button, and you should see your Fire TV Stick’s IP show in the Connected Devices box.
- Then click the Install APK button, navigate to the Stay Alive App APK file you downloaded earlier and select it.
- You will see a popup asking if you really want to install the APK. Click Yes.
- You should see a small progress bar in the bottom right corner of the screen letting you know it’s working. It could take a minute or two, so be patient.
- When it’s done, you’ll see a popup that says Installed.
- You should now see the Stay Live app in the Apps section of the Fire TV home screen.
- Open it and activate the feature to keep the screen alive. Your Fire TV device should no longer go to sleep.
Ahhh… Much Better!
Now, when you turn on your TV to watch something on your Fire Stick, it will be in the same place where it was when you last turned off your TV.
I hope this tutorial was helpful for you. I sure when glad when I figured this out. Let me know what you think in the comments.
Also, if you have any issues getting this to work, let me know in the comments. I love to help. Thanks!