One of my absolute favorite posts on this blog is how to merge Kodi streaming add-ons into the video library.
It was primarily around using Genesis which was the best out there at the time. But times have changed and now I’ve moved to SALTS.
I saw that it had the “Add to Library” feature which I was excited about, but soon found out that it wasn’t the same feature that it was in Genesis. In Genesis, adding a TV show to your library meant that it would always update the episodes in that TV show and make new episodes show up automatically, but in SALTS, it never updated after adding it to my library.
SALTS Add to Library Feature
You see, SALTS is a bit more robust and therefore has lots of options and capabilities. It turns out that “Add to Library” was actually just doing a one-time import of the currently selected show or movie into the Kodi library.
The problem with this one-time functionality is that new episodes would not appear in my library. I did some research and figured out how to make SALTS check all your favorite shows regularly to add any new episodes to the Kodi library.
SALTS Subscriptions Feature
In SALTS, the library syncing feature we’re looking for is called “Subscriptions”. It’s a little bit more of a process to get setup and there’s no instructions within the SALTS add-on, but luckily you have me to give you this tutorial.
SALTS uses trakt.tv to get information TV shows, seasons, and episodes. But to get the subscriptions to work, you have to have your own account at trakt.tv and authorize that. Then, there are some steps involving setting up a subscription list.
Let’s get to it…
How to set up Subscriptions in SALTS:
- Register for a free Trakt.tv Account
- Authorize SALTS to Use It
- Create a new “List” in your Trakt.tv account and call it something like “SubscriptionList”. (in My Profile > Lists)
- Pick your new trakt.tv “List” to use for SALTS “Subscriptions”. (in SALTS > TV Shows > Subscriptions > Pick a list to use for subscriptions > the-name-of-your-list)
- Subscribe to TV shows in SALTS by pressing “c” / menu / right-click on a show series title and choosing “Subscribe”
- Add a Kodi video library source that points to the location that SALTS stores the library/subscription stream files.
- The above screenshot shows the SALTS Add-on Settings page where you can choose where SALTS stores those stream files.
- The default path will be [location of your userdata/home folder]\addon_data\plugin.video.salts\TVShows\
- Also notice that on that same “Library Integration” settings page, you will need to enable “Automatically Update Subscriptions”. There are also lots of settings that let you decide how often it updates and when it shouldn’t be allowed to update (if you want to limit it).
- Then, you will actually need to go to Video > Files and go up a directory by clicking the “..” option until you can’t go up anymore, and then add a new video source using that path above.
Enjoy SALTS with Automatic Kodi Library Integration!
If you have any questions or have difficulty with anything in this tutorial, please leave me a comment so I can help you out. Thanks!