Last week, I shared how to install Kodi on a Fire TV Stick. Now, since there are some good reasons to use a VPN when streaming Kodi, I wanted to share this tutorial on how to install IPVanish VPN on Amazon Fire TV Stick.
I used to think it was not possible to install IPVanish VPN on Amazon Fire TV Stick. After all, the official page on the IPVanish site says it can’t be done.
However, after installing Kodi on it, I realized how easy it was to sideload APK files onto a Fire TV Stick. If I could do it with the Kodi app, why not the IPVanish app?
Well, you can do it, and it’s easy! It takes less than 5 minutes.
IPVanish VPN Only Works on the 2nd Gen Fire Stick or a Fire TV Box
If you are wanting to install IPVanish on an older 1st gen Fire Stick, unfortunately, it doesn’t work.
It used to not appear to work at all, and then it got an update and appeared to work. People were able to install and connect. However, I started getting reports in the comments from people who were testing the external IP address (mentioned at the bottom of this post), and it turned out to not be working on 1st gen Fire Sticks. If anyone discovers anything otherwise, or finds a workaround, please let me know in the comments.
In order to install IPVanish VPN, you’ll need the “All-New 2nd gen Fire TV Stick with Alexa Voice Remote” which is only $40 and runs Kodi very well.
Note: This also works on any Amazon Fire TV box!
Update: IPVanish is Now on the Amazon App Store!
That’s right! Unless you want to skip to the bottom of this post to learn more about IPVanish, you can pretty much ignore the rest which is now obsolete.
So, just head on over to the Amazon App Store on your Fire TV or Stick, and search for IPVanish.
If you’re feeling nostalgic or like doing things the hard way, read on…
Downloads Required to Install IPVanish VPN on your Fire TV Stick
Before we get stared, start downloading these 2 files:
- Download the IPVanish VPN 3.0.14 APK file for Android (Be sure to unzip it to get the .apk file inside)
- Download and install adbLink on your computer (Windows / Mac OS X 10.7+ / Linux).
Prepare Your Fire TV Stick Before Installing IPVanish VPN
- On your Fire TV Stick, navigate to Settings > System > Developer Options and turn ON both options (Apps from Unknown Sources and ADB Debugging).
- Find and take note of your Fire Stick’s IP address by going to Settings > System > About > Network.
To Install IPVanish VPN on Fire TV Stick using adbLink:
- Open adbLink on your computer (which you downloaded and installed earlier).
- Click the New button.
- In Description, give your Fire TV Stick a name.
- In Address, type the IP address of your Fire TV Stick that you took note of earlier.
- Click the Save button.
- Click the Connect button, and you should see your Fire TV Stick’s IP show in the Connected Devices box.
- Then click the Install APK button, navigate to the IPVanish APK file you downloaded earlier and select it.
- You will see a popup asking if you really want to install the APK. Click Yes.
- You should see a small progress bar in the bottom right corner of the screen letting you know it’s working. It should take a minute or two, so be patient.
- When it’s done, you’ll see a popup that says Installed.
- All done! You should now see IPVanish VPN in the Apps section of the Fire TV home screen.
Screenshots of Installing IPVanish VPN on a Fire TV Stick
The above instructions should be pretty easy, but in case you need some visuals to make sure you’re in the right place, here are some screenshots.
Method #2: Using ES File Explorer to Download IPVanish to Fire TV Stick
- Be sure you did the initial step to Prepare Your Fire TV Stick Before Installing IPVanish VPN
- Go back to home screen, select Search, and type ES Explorer. Select ES File Explorer and install it by selecting ‘Get‘ or ‘Download‘
- Launch the ES File Explorer app and add the following address into Download Manager (this can be found on the left hand side of the screen under TOOLS) http://bit.ly/ipvanish3014apk and name it IPVanish
- Select Download and the IPVanish installer file will download to your Fire TV Stick
- Unzip / Extract the newly downloaded zip file to get the APK file inside it
- Select the extracted apk file, and you will see the IPVanish installation screen. Click Install
- IPVanish VPN is now installed on your Fire TV Stick and can be accessed via Settings > Applications > Manage Installed Applications > IPVanish > Launch Application
About IPVanish VPN
IPVanish is a VPN service that encrypts your Internet traffic, hides your IP, spoofs your location, and much more.
If you’re going to be using Kodi unofficial add-ons for streaming or downloading, I recommend using a VPN. Curious why you would need a VPN? Check out my post on 4 Reasons Why Kodi Streamers Need a VPN.
Use coupon code TECH25 for 25% off any plan with IPVanish VPN! Plus, it comes with a 7-day money-back guarantee to make sure it works well for you.
How to Know if the VPN is Really Working
Please note that the IP address seen in your network settings is your internal LAN IP address and it usually starts with 192.168.x.x. This is completely separate from these discussions. That won’t change and has nothing to do with the VPN.
What you need to look for is your external IP address. It should change when you connect or disconnect from your VPN.
Normally, it’s as simple as going to one of a bunch of websites that will show you your external IP address, including just typing “IP” in a Google search.
However, on a Fire Stick, it’s not that easy because there’s no web browser. So, instead here’s another way to see your external IP address from within Kodi.
This is how you can be sure that the VPN is working properly on a Fire TV or Stick:
- From the usual “Fusion” source of http://fusion.tvaddons.ag, install from zip and select the respository-xbmchub-x.x.x.zip repository
- Go to Install from repository > TVADDONS.AG Add-on Repository > Program add-ons > Indigo
- Install Indigo and open it.
- Select System Information
- You will find your External IP address there
- Switch over to the IPVanish app, and connect or disconnect
- Now switch back to Kodi, go back to the Indigo main menu and select System Information again
- You should see the External IP addressed has changed to something different
Any Questions or Issues with Installing IPVanish on Fire Stick?
Please let me know in the comments below if you get stuck somewhere or run across issues. I’m happy to help.