If you’re using IPVanish VPN like me, there is one setting you must be aware of that can affect your speeds by 1000%! IPVanish seems to have the default set to the slower setting, so you should really check this to see if you can increase your IPVanish VPN speed by changing the protocol setting.
Testing IPVanish VPN Speed with Different Setttings
So here is the testing I did to discover the impact of this protocol setting.
- First, I tested my raw Internet speed without the IPVanish VPN connected. I got 55 Mbps.
- Then I connected the IPVanish VPN app to a server in my area (by default it was using TCP). I only got 2.81 Mbps which is horrible!
- Then I changed the protocol setting to UDP, disconnected, reconnected (to be sure the protocol change took), and then tested again. I got 25 Mbps… much better!
Now, I’m sure many of you would complain that the raw speed is being cut in half, even on UDP. That’s true, but taking into account the 4 Reasons Why Kodi Streamers Need a VPN, 25 Mbps is plenty enough speed to stream HD videos, so I’m okay with that.
What I’m not okay with is 2.81 Mbps speeds!!! You can’t stream anything with a connection that slow.
How to Change the Protocol Setting in IPVanish VPN
- In the Android app, open the slide out side menu by clicking the hamburger menu button in the top left corner or by dragging your finger from the left edge of the screen.
- Select “Settings”
- Change the Protocol setting to “OpenVPN (UDP)”
- Go back and disconnect and reconnect
Let’s Hear From You
Let me know how this worked for you. Was this helpful? Did your IPVanish VPN speed increase with this setting change?
Do you have any other tips that would increase the speed while using IPVanish VPN? Please let me know so I can share it on here.
Please leave your comments below. Thank you!